The Whitby Chamber of Commerce (WCC) Advocacy Committee is a consultative, strategic and, at times, implementation resource for the WCC Board of Directors on legislative and policy issues that relate to the Whitby business community. The committee supports the Chamber by developing researched positions and any other necessary responses for the WCC Board of Directors’ review and consideration.
The goals of the committee include:
- Anticipate, influence and respond to legislative and policy issues that affect Whitby businesses.
- Champion and lead advocacy issues in partnership and collaboration with all Chamber stakeholders for the benefit of all members.
- Promote the role of the Chamber to key external audiences, including government, business and the media, as the voice of authority on local business related issues.
- Kim Copetti, Copetti & Co., Interim Chair
- Tony Doyle, Durham College, Vice-Chair
- Audrey Andrews, Region of Durham
- Paul Dempsey, Royal Bank of Canada
- Neil Joshi, Royal Bank of Canada
- Mary Norton, Almar HRM
- Mike Watt, Meridian Credit Union
- Dan White, Tax Audit Solutions
- Natalie Prychitko, Whitby Chamber CEO, Ex-Officio
- Matthew Mackenzie, Whitby Chamber President, Ex-Officio
Current Advocacy Committee Focus Areas:
The Advocacy Committee develops and refines its focus areas based on member feedback and direction.
Current focus areas are:
- Red Tape: reducing the administrative burden on business
- Immigration and diversity
Emerging focus areas are:
- Fair Workplace Legislation
- Municipal and regional economic development